Trauma-Informed, Evidence-Based Care: A Foundation for Client Success
At OneEighty, we focus not just on achieving sobriety but on enabling meaningful recovery. Our approach strives to address core issues and develop comprehensive coping strategies to nurture sustained progress for all of our clients. Our aim is to create an environment that recognizes the impact of trauma and embeds this understanding into every facet of our care. By weaving trauma-informed practices into evidence-based care, we empower our clients to navigate the journey of recovery while addressing the root causes of their struggles, ultimately paving the way for meaningful and lasting transformation. Evidence-based care is the cornerstone, providing a structured approach rooted in scientific research and clinical expertise. As Clinical Director John Fishburn put it, “Evidence-based care is not just about treating symptoms; it’s about fostering a deep sense of care and maintaining long-term engagement to help facilitate enduring transformation.” This approach, rooted in scientific research and clinical expertise, serves as the bedrock of behavioral healthcare at OneEighty.
OneEighty’s Approach to Trauma-Focused Care
We believe in practices that promote a culture of safety, empowerment, and healing. That means clients can expect to find a positive, nurturing environment that includes:
Safety: We ensure physical and emotional safety through confidentiality, upgraded facility security, and client-involved safety assessments.
Trust & Transparency: Openly discussed treatment plans, articulated goals in clients’ own words, and signed agreements foster trust and transparency during the recovery process.
Peer Support: Integrated peer support aids recovery, connecting clients to resources, support systems, and the recovery community.
Collaboration: Staff training in trauma-informed care and a person-centered approach supports effective client – staff interaction. Encouraging shared decision-making empowers clients in their recovery journey.
Empowerment: Addressing trauma is central to building resilience. Our clinicians are trained in leading trauma treatments like EMDR to support healing.
Diversity & Inclusion: Our culture promotes humility, addresses biases, and actively implements diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives for improved support and accessibility.
Tailored Treatment Plans
OneEighty’s evidence-based approach begins with comprehensive assessments to help us understand each client’s circumstances and specific needs. From this personalized evaluation, our staff create treatment plans that align with research-supported methodologies, ensuring the most effective interventions for each person.
“Addiction is a complex disease. It’s critical that we have evidence-based treatments,” Fishburn explained. “There’s a robust body of evidence demonstrating that it works.” That’s why OneEighty upholds the highest standards of evidence-based care to support clients in their recovery. Through a comprehensive range of programs and therapies, OneEighty strives to offer practical, data-driven care that leads to meaningful transformations. Fishburn asserted that “Addiction is a chronic disease, much like other chronic diseases such as diabetes or hypertension.” “But society doesn’t view it this way,” CEO Bobbi Douglas added. “Most people are under the misconception that you go to treatment and you’re done.”
We understand that each client’s journey toward recovery is unique. “We really try very much to individualize treatment, understanding what kind of approach works best with what person,” Douglas said. And Fishburn agreed: “One size does not fit all. So, it’s really important to take a step back and individualize the treatment.”
Fishburn explained that at OneEighty, clients are involved in any decisions being made about their treatment. Each plan is tailored to their situation. Treatment plans include therapies like group counseling, personal therapy, family and community programs, or medication-based therapy. Clients often benefit from a combination of these effective options, including:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) – A structured, goal-oriented talk therapy.
- Contingency Management (CM) – A behavior-modification approach that provides positive reinforcement for desired behaviors. It involves rewarding individuals for meeting specific goals or abstaining from negative behaviors and is commonly used in substance use disorder treatment.
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) – A kind of talk therapy for people who experience emotions very intensely.
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) – This mental health treatment technique involves moving your eyes in a specific way while clients process traumatic memories.
- Matrix Model – A structured, multi-component behavioral treatment model that consists of evidence-based practices, including relapse prevention, family therapy, group therapy, psychoeducation, and self-help – delivered sequentially and clinically coordinated.
- Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) – A harm-reduction approach that combines medications with counseling and behavioral therapies.
- Motivational Interviewing (MI) – An evidence-based treatment that addresses ambivalence to change.
- Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SRBIT) – comprehensive, integrated, public health approach to early identification, intervention, and treatment services for clients with substance use disorders.
The Impact on Client Outcomes
The application of evidence-based care significantly affects the outcomes experienced by our clients. Rigorous research and clinical studies inform our treatment modalities. By using these evidence-based practices, OneEighty clients have experienced improvements in various areas, such as:
- Improved Recovery Rates: Evidence-based treatments lead to higher rates of successful recovery by addressing the underlying causes of addiction and mental health challenges.
- Enhanced Mental Health: Our evidence-based therapies empower individuals to manage symptoms, develop coping mechanisms, and experience a better quality of life.
- Long-Term Stability: By integrating evidence-based strategies, we promote sustainable progress and equip clients with skills to maintain their well-being beyond treatment.
Fishburn pointed out that the outcomes of evidence-based therapies, such as targeted interventions like Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), can profoundly impact individuals who have undergone severe trauma. For instance, Fishburn had a client who was a veteran. They endured distressing experiences in a combat zone and struggled for years with the weight of trauma, leading to substance use and other personal challenges. By engaging in targeted therapy – addressing specific traumatic events – the individual experienced a transformative release. “Witnessing the transformative impact firsthand, where someone says, ‘I’ve been carrying this around for so many years, I can finally let it go,’ underscores the profound success of evidence-based interventions in addressing deep-seated trauma.”
The Evolution of Evidence-Based Care
At OneEighty, we have made an ongoing effort to continuously evolve our practices to align with the latest advancements in the field – staying current with emerging research and adapting emerging methodologies accordingly. Research-backed practices are a key element of our treatment model because we see them as fundamental to achieving positive, lasting outcomes for clients. When we embrace innovative approaches supported by robust evidence, our clients can receive the most effective and progressive care.
However, recovery isn’t a one-and-done process. “I emphasize this with our therapists and clients alike – return before you relapse,” Douglas emphasized. “Say your mom passes away, and you’re overwhelmed with grief; seek support before you relapse. There’s no shame; it’s a chronic disease. You don’t need to be ‘finished’ – recovery means ongoing care.” That’s why we at OneEighty will always be here to support clients where they’re at with a continuum of evidence-based treatments.
We’re Here to Support You.
We help people change direction with programs for addiction, domestic violence, rape crisis, mental health, housing, and prevention and education. At OneEighty, we actively support an evidence-based approach to sustainable recovery from trauma and addiction – restoring dignity and purpose, reimagining potential, and rebuilding lives. OneEighty offers counseling programs, intensive addiction treatment programs, group addiction treatment, residential services, victim services, recovery housing, and peer recovery.
For those encountering a substance use crisis please call OneEighty’s Substance Use Crisis hotline available 24 hours per day, 365 days per year at 330-466-0678. For other resources, click the links below: